Parents who are separating sometimes relocate to another state.  If a Washington court has already made a “Parenting Plan” (child custody order), the “primary parent” may not relocate the child outside of the child’s current school district without (a) the consent of the other parent or (b)  by “relocation order” of the court if the parents cannot agree and the court must decide whether the children can be relocated.   RCW 26.09.405-914.

For answers to other questions you have about custodial interference, interstate child removal laws or what our lawyers can do to help prevent the removal of your child — just call Seattle Family Law at 206.340.1580 to schedule a free consultation or email us.

All states have entered into the “Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction and Enforcement Act” (in Washington:  RCW 26.27) to help state courts sort out which state should make the custody decision.  This Act prevents multiple and possibly inconsistent child custody rulings when the parents live in different states at the time custody becomes disputed.  In general, the state where the child has resided for at least six months preceding filing of the custody case is the state where initial custody decisions must be made.   RCW 26.27.201.  If the parents simultaneously file custody cases in different state courts, the judges of those courts must confer to determine which state should have the sole power to make custodial decisions.  RCW 26.27.251.   If one state has already made a custody decision, that state continues to have sole and exclusive power to modify the decision unless neither parent or the child continues to reside in that state.  RCW 26.27.211.

Seattle Family Law
108 S. Washington St.
Suite 304,
Seattle, WA 98104

phone: 206 340-1580
fax: 206 888-2592

Email Us | Map & Directions

Seattle Family Law handles divorce and family law for people in the Seattle and Puget Sound areas of Washington State, including Bellevue, Renton, Kent, Tacoma, Everett, Edmonds, Kirkland, Federal Way, Issaquah, Lynwood, Shoreline, Auburn and other communities in King County, Snohomish County, and Pierce County.