How Can I Help My Family Member Immigrate?

Call Seattle Family Law if you need help with your family immigration issues.

Your status determines which relatives (or future relatives such as a fiancé(e) or prospective adopted child) may be eligible to receive immigration benefits. In order to help a family member immigrate to the United States, you must be a:

  • U.S. citizen
  • Permanent resident (green card holder)
  • Refugee admitted as a refugee within the past 2 years or asylee granted asylum within the past 2 years

Family of U.S. Citizens

 As a U.S. citizen, you may petition for certain family members based on your relationship.

Relatives for Whom You (U.S. Citizen) May Petition and Related Benefits and Required Forms


Type of Relative for Whom You May Petition

Immigration Benefit

Related Forms

  • Spouse
  • Children (unmarried and under 21)
  • Sons and daughters (married and/or 21 or over)
  • Parents, if you are 21 or over
  • Siblings, if you are 21 or over

Permanent Residency (Green Card)

  • Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative
  • Form I-864, Affidavit of Support
  • Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status
  • A fiancé(e) residing outside the United States and children of fiancé(e) under 21

Fiancé(e) Visa

  • Form I-129F, Petition for Alien Fiancé(e)
  • Spouse
  • Children of spouse (unmarried and under 21)

K-3/K-4 Nonimmigrant Visa

  • Form I-130
  • Form I-129F

Family of Permanent Residents (Green Card Holders)

As a permanent resident (green card holder), you may petition for certain family members to immigrate to the United States as permanent residents.

You May Petition For The Following Family Members:

  • Spouse (husband or wife) 
  • Unmarried children under 21 
  • Unmarried son or daughter of any age

Application Process

To obtain a green card for your family member, you must:

  • File Form I-130
  •  Provide proof of your status to demonstrate that you are a permanent resident.
  • Submit evidence of the qualifying relationship such as a birth certificate, marriage certificate, divorce decree, etc. See the form instructions for specific documents required.
  • Submit proof of any legal name change for you or your family member (the beneficiary).

See the instructions for Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative, for detailed instructions.

If you or a member of your family is in the U.S. military special conditions may apply to your situation. 

Seattle Family Law
108 S. Washington St.
Suite 304,
Seattle, WA 98104

phone: 206 340-1580
fax: 206 888-2592

Email Us | Map & Directions

Seattle Family Law handles divorce and family law for people in the Seattle and Puget Sound areas of Washington State, including Bellevue, Renton, Kent, Tacoma, Everett, Edmonds, Kirkland, Federal Way, Issaquah, Lynwood, Shoreline, Auburn and other communities in King County, Snohomish County, and Pierce County.